Saturday, 30 June 2012

Faringdon


Faringdon is a pretty market town in the Vale of White Horse in Oxfordshire. It nestles on the edge of the Thames Valley. This is the first town in the South East of England to be granted Fairtrade Town status in 1990.






This is an old and historical town. It was first given permission for a weekly market in 1218 and the tradition continues today. Faringdon actually means 'fern covered hill' In ancient times it would have been a familiar haunt of the kings of Wessex.



The parish church of All Saints is thought to date back to the 12th century. It is quite distinctive  because of its very short bell tower. This was reduced in height in 1645 after cannon ball damage during the English Civil War.



The Old Town Hall which used to be the Market Hall is early 18th century and the focal point of the town. There are also many traditional English pubs in the town and plenty of places to eat out.




Most people will pass through Faringdon without realising that there is a large Folly on a hill behind the Best Western Sudbury Hotel. It was built in 1935 and stands at 140 feet in height, providing spectacular views of the countryside beyond.

Click here to visit the photo gallery







No comments:

Post a comment